Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Scarlet Pimpernel

I had the great opportunity to see The Scarlet Pimpernel production at the Hale Center Theater in Salt Lake City last weekend and this is the first chance I have had to sit down and actually write about it.

My book club read The Scarlet Pimpernel a few months ago and then found out that the musical would be playing in Salt Lake so we as a book club decided that we would all love to go. I knew the story and familiarized myself with the music so when the show arrived I would be ready.

If you are not familiar with the story line the basic jist of it is a tangled web of love deceit and redemption all entwined within the throws of the French Revolution. I am slightly frightened to admit to even reading this novel let alone enjoy the musical because my favorite history professor that I took French Revolution from would throw a fit, because, "The Scarlet Pimpernel is so far from what actually took place its not even funny!" That said, The Scarlet Pimpernel probably one of the most entertaining musicals I have EVER seen. I can't remember the last time I laughed that hard.

The man playing Percy/The Scarlet Pimpernel was insane I have never witnessed anyone be able to pull off two completely different personalities so well. If there had been room I would have been rolling on the floor because I was laughing so hard.

The ONLY part of the show I found lacking and it had nothing to do with the actors themselves but I feel that the show itself lacks a truly great love song, sure there are touching moment but no "All I Ask of You" or "As Long As You're Mine" nothing that really sticks to your heart well no love songs anyway... The passion that "Into the Fire"
or the great comedy that "Creation of Man" this version is rough but its worth watching to get the idea of the absolute hilarioty. ensues is absolute pleasure.

It was in a word. Delightful.

Now the question is...what shows have you seen lately that were enjoyable?

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOVE comments! Thank You so much for taking your time to leave your thoughts, feelings, ideas, rants and raves. You have just MADE my day!