Monday, June 22, 2009

Back to School

Today I am up on campus IN a class for the first time in more than two and a half years. Its like stepping back in time.

I recall my first day on campus as a freshman, I had graduated from high school a mere five days before and there I stood in front of the business building - which happened to be the tallest building on campus - staring up at it like a tourist in New York City for the first time. This was daunting. I took a deep breath and slowly made my way up the few steps and into the building. My first day was a whirlwind all of these amazing scholars were here to teach ME something I sat there and listened as best I could they were using words I had NEVER heard before, colloquialism is the one that stands out in my mind, they kept using it over and over, and expected me to know what they meant! I remember going home after that first day and feeling completely overwhelmed I vividly remember lamenting to my mother that I did not understand nearly every other word out of the lectures mouths! She gave me great advice, write down the words I didn't know and look them up when I got home. I made good use of my graduation present -a dictionary- that summer.

Now, I am back on campus and I have a hard time processing how much things have changed since I have been here. There are new buildings all over the place, new dorms and a new library, the old library that I spent so much time in studying has been torn down. In its place, just a vast expanse of grass, its as though the quad has just stretched out a bit. The whole feeling of the campus has changed but as I sit here in class (we are watching a movie I could that I have seen enough times to recite most of it by heart- Dave) I realize that the reason for being here and the fundamentals are still the same. I'm still attempting to finish my degree and I still LOVE the knowledge that these people have to share and the passion in which they present it.

The movie is almost over and my professor should be returning soon. On to discuss the Political Culture of the United States. Wish me luck, and cross your fingers that I will be able to keep up.

P.S. Colloquialism defined: a colloquial expression -- what is colloquial? characteristic of or appropriate to ordinary or familiar conversation rather than formal speech or writing; informal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOVE comments! Thank You so much for taking your time to leave your thoughts, feelings, ideas, rants and raves. You have just MADE my day!