Thursday, December 2, 2010

Holiday Movies

Ask any member of my family and they will tell you, I am a Scrooge. I am not a huge supporter of the Holidays, I haven't been for YEARS now but I do my motherly duty of decorating and putting up a tree and doing the things that one does around the holidays. ie. Baking cookies, making candy, and crafting cute little holiday items. Don't get me wrong, the TRUE meaning of the season is not lost on me and don't think that I am some horrible person for not enjoying the Holidays I just despise the over commercialization and the pettiness that they seem to bring.

When I was living with my grandparents as soon as the HORRIBLY cheesy and mushy Christmas/Holiday movies started their rotation on the television that's what we would watch. My Grandpa Ben whom I adoringly call Grumpy, would insist that I watch the movies with him, his running commentary made the movies worth suffering through, "Oh Ommilie do you think ____ will make it?" He would laugh and laugh. Ugh, I loathed the predictable plots and overly sappiness and sentimentallity of it all, BAH HUMBUG! He would constantly tell me that when I moved away I would watch as many Christmas movies as I could.

Well, now that I have moved away and have some control over what is watched in my home I think I have done quite well at preventing heart warming holiday shows from creeping into my home. HOWEVER being the good, loving, caring mother that I am, I have allowed the Classic Christmas cartoons and claymation sneak into my home, in fact I even sat and watched the classic "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" with Daisy last night. I realized that like with many Dr. Seuss books I could quote nearly the whole thing.

As I set forth to face the remainder of December and the Holiday movies that are yet to come I have to remeber the wise words of The Grinch-"What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more."- Dr. Seuss.

1 comment:

i LOVE comments! Thank You so much for taking your time to leave your thoughts, feelings, ideas, rants and raves. You have just MADE my day!