Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sleep Deprived


I have been having an incredibly difficult time sleeping lately.

{As I mentioned in my previous blog I have given up Ambien due to the high cost of my stupidity whilst on it and although I have refilled my prescription I have not used it. Tylenol PM however has been used twice due to wicked tension headaches and the hopes that it will just knock me out. (Not so much) So technically I have not been doing anything to aid in getting me to sleep (other than hitting the gym but that only suceeds in making me so tired I can't sleep) }

This may have something to do with the fact that my two year old has decided to repay my parents for the horrible night owl that I was when growing up (and still am). Except when I was her age I would quietly go out to the family room pop in The Wizard of Oz, watch it, then return to bed. Could I be this lucky when it comes to Daisy? NOOOOO, she wants to PLAY. I hear my bedroom door creak open and the little giggly noise that is Daisy calling my name, prompting me to get out of bed to come entertain her. She did this at 2:30 this morning. Now I know I will get no sympathy from my parents but something must be done! Wanting to play for 3 hours in the wee hours of morn -when Mom has to be up, bright eyed and bushytailed for school by 8 o'clock- is NOT going to help.

I know, I know, just put her back to bed and tell her to stay. Well its not that easy, a screaming, wailing, sobbing 2 year old that does NOT want to go to bed causes nosey neighbors to wonder what horrible awful things I must be doing to this 2 year old to cause such a racket. The need to calm, soothe and QUIET this little banshee becomes dire at 4 am. I don't know what else I can do... let her cry it out whilst locked in her bedroom? I promise, I'm not beating her! I'm just making her go to bed!


1 comment:

  1. Hi there :) Your blog is beautiful. As the mom of three, I totally feel you, I've been there. I definitely would not 'cry it out'. The things that I've found that work with all kinds of kids are:

    A routine that is the same at the same time every night (this was so hard for me!). For my youngest Lola, it is brush teeth, jammies, pick out baby doll and read three books with Mom or Dad in bed. We leave a nightlight on for her and her door open.

    No sugar or food coloring or caffeine in the hours before bedtime

    Bathtime an hour before bed

    Being sure she has excercise every day, even indoors like jump rope, jumping jacks, somersaults, etc.

    With my daughter, when she went through rough sleep stages, I found that a light up toy that sings music really helped. They have light up soothing Glo-Worms at WalMart. Also calming music, like a CD for sleep.

    There is the No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers book which I reccomend. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

i LOVE comments! Thank You so much for taking your time to leave your thoughts, feelings, ideas, rants and raves. You have just MADE my day!