Tuesday, November 3, 2009

10 Influential people

The challenge for Wordfull Wednesday this week is:

"Think about those who have had a significant influence in your life.

Besides the Savior, Heavenly Father, and your family, list ten of the most important and influential people in your life. Write the reasons why they are and have been so important to you. Some of these will be people you have known, but some might be people you have only heard of or read about." (Mary Ellen Edmunds, Peculiar in a Good Way, pg.23)

- Drumroll Please -

1. Margaret Obray- Mrs. Obray was my high school AP US History and AP Government teacher. She currently IS my Teaching History professor. She is one of two people that have inspired me to pursue History as my degree. Ah, someone to blame! She masterfully captured my imagination and lead me to see that history is not just something that is in the past but it comes to life if told the right way.

2. Misty Dawn Smith McKay- I find it hard to think of a time when Misty was not a part of my life. She came into my life when I was not in such a great place and showed me to look on the bright side even when all I can see is darkness. She is such a strong willed person and faith that I can only dream of having. She loves with all her heart and although she can be out there at times I am so lucky to call her my friend.

3. Chantel Meghdadi- Chantel was my upstairs neighbor when I lived in Phoenix. She was the beautiful lady that was always sitting on the picnic table with a book in one hand and a glass of lemonade in the other we would say hello but it was her crazy cat, George, he attacked my living room screen window and would wander into my apartment whenever we left the door open. She invited me (and my then husband) up to her apartment to celebrate her birthday, we had salad and king crab legs, I had never had crab before it was such a unique experience and one I will not soon forget. We became fast friends and I realized that she wasn't just the lady with the crazy cat but a really amazing person. She and I would go out and eat cake for breakfast it was wonderful! We would watch random television shows together and she is the Brain to my Pinky.

4. Suzanne Barker- The woman that introduced me to Wizard of Oz and showed me that its okay to wonder what is over the rainbow.

5. Paula Deen- I aspire to be Paula Deen. I read her autobiography a few years ago and she had to overcome some incredibly rough circumstances to be where she is today but she always put her boys first and looked to her family for guidance. She strikes me as the type of woman whose heart and kitchen is always open to anyone that might need it.

6. (Insert Various Musicians here) be it my first crush ever Garth Brooks, or maybe it was *NSYNC, possibly even Keith Urban the music of these insanely gifted people has created the soundtrack to my life and their music is just as influential as the person singing it.

7. Gordon B. Hinckley- The prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, he was the prophet that I grew up with. His focus was on the youth of the church while I was a youth and I felt like whenever he was speaking he was speaking to me. I felt that he cared about ME even though we had never met. His Be talk, is something that I think about and strive to BE on a daily basis.

8. Emmaline Katherine Stanton- I know this sounds like a very random person to list. I mean especailly since she is a person I have made up but 9 out of 10 times Emmaline Katherine Stanton plays the heroine in the stories I weave to keep me sane. She is able to speak her mind, follow her heart, she is clever, creative and funny. She can do everything i can't and yes she can even play the piano by ear! She's amazing she has qualities that I hope one day I can have I see myself in her but a better version of myself.

9. Rachel Anne Godfrey- She has been my best friend since I was 12 even though she moved away in 10th grade we have stayed close through snail mail, email and long distance phone calls. Rachel helped support her family while growing up, working almost full time most of the way through high school and then worked while attending San Diego Community College. She got her associates degree and became an X-Ray Technologist AND an Ultrasound Tech. She shows me that it is possible to achieve your goals even when life seems to be doing everything it can to keep you from reaching them.

10. James Otthello Adams- I fell in love with Brother Adams when I was in high school. The gap of nearly 65 years in our ages didn't matter. He was my ideal man. He served in WWII on the homefront, looked great in a uniform and he adored his wife. He was the reason I passed 3 of my history classes and he is the reason I am so fascinated with "The Greatest Generation" because I really think he was one of the greatest. He lead by example and was one of the greatest men I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful list. I think I would have liked to meet James Otthello Adams. I love those of the "greatest generation."

    Thanks for participating today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh, pinky and the brain, classic! :)

    I too have many men who contributed to my "list" of wanted attributes for a hubby...how lucky am I that I found one that "measured up"?!

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such a neat list! History is one of my favorite subjects too, thanks to a super history teacher. It's nice to know there are so many really wonderful people out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are not so very different, you and I... Love your list and love you.

    ReplyDelete

i LOVE comments! Thank You so much for taking your time to leave your thoughts, feelings, ideas, rants and raves. You have just MADE my day!