Tuesday, April 20, 2010

How I Spent My Morning

I have always been a dreamer, not so much a planner, I tend to plot quietly.

Instead of doing what I SHOULD be doing this morning (homework, getting dressed, having grand adventures with Daisy) I have spent the morning watching PBS and plotting the ultimate roadtrip. Mr. Chase spent some time in Charleston, SC and he talks about it like its this magical beautiful place and since I've been fascinated with the Carolinas thanks in part to Nicolas Sparks and partly to the fact my father was born @ Ft. Bragg, they have always been this mystical place. So wandering through travel sites today I discovered that for the 3 of us Mr. Chase, Daisy (since she's now 2 and would need her own seat) and myself to fly would cost well over $2000 (and that's JUST THE FLIGHT)!!! I couldn't believe it we could do NYC AND DC for that cost, and that's flights, food and lodging!!!

So being the creative traveler that I am have plotted the ultimate roadtrip. Logan to Chicago, Chicago to Charleston, Charleston to New Orleans, New Orleans to Phoenix, Phoenix to San Diego then LA to Home. Its just a measely 6000+ miles. 18 States, and the opportunity to see the vast expanse that are these great United States. And the places we would get to visit along the way by default...Atlanta, Baton Rouge, Houston, & NASHVILLE just to name a few. {that would be somewhere we would HAVE to stop} I figure gas would cost roughly the price of ONE round trip ticket to SC. Now you add in staying at a variety of seedy motels, and dining at delicious dives along the way, I'm STILL $700 below the cost of the flight.

I have always dreamed of driving route 66 from Chicago to LA in a convertible but this trip would satisfy that desire. We would get to see amazing things and the food... oh the food, Alton Brown from Food Network does a summer road trip (for the last two or three years) called Feasting On Asphalt, and we could liken our trip after his.

The reality of getting to do this is slim to none but getting to plot this grand adventure has entertained my imagination for the better part of Dinosaur Train, Word World and DragonTales :)

2 comments:

  1. i am pretty sure i need to go with you!!

    my route is very close to yours...i figured it is 92 hrs of driving :) ha ha! Who wouldn't want to be in a car w/ me for that long - seriously!!

    I long for the day that i can take 2-3 weeks off work and go...one day - OHHH one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this... all of it.. including the familiarity of the PBS shows. You sound a lot like me. LOL

    ReplyDelete

i LOVE comments! Thank You so much for taking your time to leave your thoughts, feelings, ideas, rants and raves. You have just MADE my day!