Saturday, July 25, 2009

Small Town Snapshot

I read On the Front Porch regularly, I love it. Every Sunday Wendy does what she calls small town snapshot. I have decided to participate this week because I was able to experience a wonderful small town celebration today.

Newton, UT population 699 (as per the 2000 census) has a wonderful tradition of having a 24th of July celebration. For those of you that did not grow up in Utah or South-Eastern Idaho you probably do not know what the significance is. The 24th of July is the day back in 1847 that Brigham Young the then leader and prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints entered the Salt Lake Valley.

Cheap food! Hot dogs, Hamburgers, sno cones! Oh my!
Oh ice cream bars for fifty cents!

It was all good fun, there was a volleyball tournament, a bounce house, rock wall. It was amazing to watch the hula hoop competition and then gunny sack races!


There was also a farmer competition ie. How far can you toss a hay bale (I'm NOT kidding) This day all culminated in a huge water fight.

I swear the whole town showed up for this celebration today. I was invited out by my sister and brother-in-law that currently reside out in the quaint small town.


4 comments:

  1. This is COOL! I especially love the water fight. I will have to remember that for next year and see if our town will add that to our summer festival!

    Thanks for participating in Small Town Snapshot Sunday. I hope you'll do it again sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a wonderful day for everyone. Water games are alway popular on hot summer days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot to mention the t-shirts. Everyone who attends this annual party buys a nifty t-shirt. This year's say, "Got Lake." You ought to post a photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice photos. That's so cool. I love the water fight, too. Love your background on this blog. It's awesome! I haven't mastered my html yet! ha Come and visit our small town entry, too: http://neeneessoapshop.blogspot.com/2009/07/snapshot-sunday-on-way-to-arkansas-2.html

    ReplyDelete

i LOVE comments! Thank You so much for taking your time to leave your thoughts, feelings, ideas, rants and raves. You have just MADE my day!